View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Peckish

I made one commissioned baby quilt, for a very good neighbor and friend. She promised to pay for supplies and my time. I took her with me to pick out the fabrics, but really it was so SHE could pay for all of it. She was mildly surprised at the total, but paid and handed me the bag. I made the top. She decided she wanted to have the baby's name and birth date professionally embroidered on the border, which was fine with me. I think she paid $45 for that. Back then, I wasn't quilting my own quilts (and she knew that), so I sent the top to a longarmer, which was another $75. I bound the quilt and gave it to her. She wrote me a check for $75 to reimburse me for the quilting and that was it. I didn't press the issue because she was such a good neighbor, but lesson learned - I have never made another commissioned quilt since then. I've been approached, so I write up a very detailed proposal, complete with how much supplies cost and how much I will charge, and require a deposit (half of the total) up front. To date, no one has taken me up on it.