View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 03:06 PM
butterflywing

Originally Posted by Crissie
Wal-Mart nor Joanne's do not have the quality that a good quilt shop has!

Did you ever think of working out of the home or even a warehouse and doing quilt shows and/or shows? Something like a traveling quilt shop of people who are so fare away from local quilt shops? Ware houses can be out of the way ...But if you make a name for yourself people will go to the end of a rain bow for great fabrics. One of my friends has a shop in an old part of her town and has been in business for over fifteen years and we always go visit her shop and she has made a name for herself... So it can be done...

Lots to think about.
this got me thinking. if there are guilds in your area, how about quilting 'parties'? like old tupperware parties? you would visit the guild on their meeting night, show them what you have to sell, talk about new trends in quilting, maybe show some notions and/or patterns, maybe suggest a new project such as a bom or a challenge or mystery. you can sell the kits needed for the mysteries or the boms after putting them together yourself. boms are easy if you stay with old, un-copyrighted patterns. provide the needed fabrics and the instructions in a ziploc bag. print out a color print of the pattern to show on the front of the bag. many guilds will buy in order to keep you in business. provide refreshments (lemonade and cookies) and a few quilting quiz games (free on the internet) with tiny prizes for the winners. give out gc for a % off on their first purchase. if you can visit a few such guilds, you'll get known pretty well in your immediate area. if you can work out of your home while you do this, you'll get a head start on a rent-paying business. you won't know until you try, but i wouldn't bet more than i could afford to lose, so i would go by degrees.