Old 09-13-2013, 02:27 PM
J Miller

Originally Posted by alabam49 View Post
Hope its ok to ask my question here. I was given a singer featherweight 1948-51 model. Sent it to the repair guy for cleaning, etc. He let me know the motor has oil on it it needs to be replaced. (It was not sewing quite right when I sent it to him)So am wondering if I can get a decent motor cheaper than $90 for it? Thats how much he said a new motor will cost plus his fee to replace it. Should I get a new motor or get a vintage one off ebay? Thanks.
Originally Posted by J Miller
Were it mine, I'd hose the motor out with electrical parts cleaner or break cleaner, then pull the brushes and springs and clean ( or replace ) them, their tubes, and the commutator. After that I'd properly grease the grease tubes, plug it in and run it at full speed till it quit smoking.

You might still have to replace the motor, but I'd try to clean the original one first.

Joe
An FYI. Electrical parts cleaner and some break cleaners are flammable. Some comments on another thread have indicated people have started fires by using motors cleaned with these chemicals.
The prevention for that is to clean the motors off the machine, outside, then let the chemicals evaporate and dry before running the motors again.

Just thought I'd mention this.

Joe