Thread: Friday the 13th
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i'm not at all superstitious, but sometimes i say something appropriate to the situation just to go along with others
Me too. I also knock on wood as a precaution when I talk about things going well, though I know it doesn't matter, and if there's no wood handy, plastic or whatever might get knocked. I never heard of burning sage. It might smell nice?

I stopped picking up pennies and other small coins years ago figuring that it might be more thrilling to some little kid coming along later. If I'm missing out on luck, now I'll know why.

My mother said that one of her mother's superstitions was that you never give knives or other sharp objects as gifts because it will sever the relationship. I doubt my grandmother or mother actually believed that, but it may have been passed down through generations. I never think of giving such a gift without remembering that, but if someone has knives as a Christmas wish it wouldn't stop me. In fact, I'm pretty sure I gave my DS and DIL steak knives one time and so far it hasn't caused any problem. Knock on wood.