View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 04:28 AM
KathieS

Red face Purchasing a Sewing Machine

Originally Posted by Frozenmama View Post
I'm pretty new to this board, but am loving all that I'm learning from reading through the posts. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to share. I have been sewing for 28 years, quilting for the last 10 or so. (For some reason, I'm not able to "enter" down to a new paragraph - sorry if this looks like a giant run on!) I was given a great Kenmore 17 years ago, which has served me very well. I've never had one problem with the machine, sews like a dream and can handle everything I've thrown at it. BUT - I'd like to upgrade! I'd like a machine that has better lighting than the one I currently own, and I'd also like a machine that I can adjust the needle position. As well, I'd like the addition of a quilters extension attachment. I don't need much more than a straight stitch & a zigzag - so a machine with a million stitch functions is wasted on me. I'd also like to stay under $400 - that's about all I can afford right now. Where I live, there is no local sewing shop that carries machines, but I've been looking on line. Costco, Walmart, etc. I'm a little overwhelmed by all the different brands, ones that I thought were good, I'm reading reviews saying the machines are actually not good after all. Any suggestions?
Welcome Ontario !

I have purchased machines online from Sew Vac Direct with great success. Their knowledgeable staff have always been able to match my requirements to a great machine and keep it within my budget.

I am a fan of Janome and Juki products but it is very important to consider the throat width of the machine - the wider the better for quilting !

I suggest contacting this company to see what machine they would recommend to suit your needs and budget.

Cheers,

Kathie