View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Sheila Elaine

I had to skip a couple of pages, but these are so funny. I'm from Alabama, but traveled with ex & my two children in 60's, 70's & 80's. Some of these sayings I've heard, but some I haven't. I'm quite guilty of mocking other people, especially my grandson. I think he does it to make me correct him, just to see my reaction. He drives me "nuts" (I think that's colloquial) when he chops his words off, too. Going is more like go'n, but he rolls it. I'm go'n to the store. I picked up "alright, already" when it should be "that's enough" from someone along our travels, but can't remember who or where. People in the South tell me I sound like I'm from the West Coast. I guess when you travel you pick up different accents, and end up sounding a bit different than some other people in different areas.

Once I was talking to a lady from New York on the telephone & I couldn't tell you when she stopped one sentence & started another, she talked so fast. I had to ask her to slow down as my brain couldn't absorb what she was trying to ask or tell me. A simple three minute conversation turned into 10 minutes because she sounded like she was on the drug "speed". All these idiosyncrasies make us unique Americans or unique British, or whatever Country we're from. Differences make the world go around, that's my take on this subject.