Old 12-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Shorebird

Originally Posted by Guy
My wife is a crazy quilter. I am sure many on this forum know what I mean.

She is really great at it and has been doing it for many years.

She is ill, however, and I want to really surprise her at Christmas this year with a top of the line sewing machine for her quilting.

I just snuck into her quilting room - yes, she has an entire room devoted to quilting with a work table, sewing centre etc. From what I can tell (I can't find the specific model number on the machine, it just says Husqvarna
Viking) she currently has a Husqvarna Platitmun machine (the instructional manual that I found is for Plantimum 730, 750 and 770 models so it has to be one of these).

I would like to get something significantly better. I think she would also enjoy/like something with embroidering capabilites for shirts, jeans, blouses etc.

So, here is the big question. If you were my wife and currently owned a Husqvarna Viking Plantinum series quilting/sewing machine ... what would you like if you were upgrading?

Since we live in a small city with a Husqvarna store in it and given that she currently has a Husqvarna machine which she is familiar with ... I think (for my own sake) I better stick with another Husqvarna model.

So there you have it ladies. Please fire away at me and please give me your divine guidance. I know that buying a sewing machine is to women what buying a new car is to us guys ... so I know I am on thin ice here. Help me not to break through! If you can suggest specific model numbers that would be very helpful.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For my money, I would recommend the Husqvarna Viking Designer Diamond.....It is their top of the line machine, and besides having a 10" throat, it does phenominal embroidery, and has so many wonderful features.........If that one is too much for the budget (they are running sales right now) have them demo the Designer Topaz....also has a 10" throat, and does very nice embroidery designs.......just does not have all of the features that the Diamond does...............ALSO, the service after the sale is worth as much, if not more, than the sale itself.........if you local dealer is anything like mine in Leesburg, VA, service will be Bodacious!!