Old 09-18-2013, 06:09 PM
dbywater

Hi Billy & Forum,

Wow, that's a beautiful Red Eye Singer, and awesome Henderson!

I am a recent enthusiast. I spotted a treadle sewing machine last Saturday... I fell in love with the well used Vindex that is missing the bobbin plate and brought her home.

We have the Vindex cleaned, oiled and ready roll, except... We will have my mechanical engineer son make the bobbin plate cover, once I confirm it is the same simple sliding plate that most are - and get a belt.

The next day we bought a Singer Red Eye. I would have said she's in great shape until I saw the pic of yours We're pretty sure she'll sew perfectly once we get her a belt. Bought her from a gal that used to sew with her, then stored her in the garage for many, many years.

I will post pics once the machines are back in their cabinets (from their cleaning and oiling once over). I do need help with a few things please. Does this "quick reply" post to the forum, or just reply to you? I have never blogged or forumed (new word?) before... Not sure whether to "quick reply", or "blog this post"?

More importantly I am having difficulty (as a neophyte) finding manuals (even threading instructions!) on the Vindex. I think it's late 1800, early 1900 machine. The National Sewing Machine Co. branded their machines in so many ways that they lost their own history is my conclusion at first glance She is not a Vindex B, but she looks like one.

Can anyone lead me in the correct direction for maintenance directions for the Vindex or National machines?