View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 AM
ShirlinAZ

If you don't know whether their diabetes is Type I or Type 2, how severe they are, or what meds they are on, I strongly recommend staying with fresh fruits. Absolutely do Not use honey. It is a bigger no-no than sugar. Fresh pitted fruit such as peaches are good, as well as berries. A small amount of apple is OK. Try serving with cheese. Fresh fruit and cheese is the most common dessert is Europe. Even with Splenda, the most important factor is portion control. Most diabetics will watch what they eat without your help, but will appreciate the thoughtfulness. Any baked goods can be made with splenda instead of sugar unless they require yeast, soda, or baking powder - then use half splenda and half sugar. Sugar is needed to make the item "rise". My diabetic brother can eat pumpkin pie made with splenda and he dearly loves it. DH is a Type 2 diabetic, controlled by oral med, and eats everything he wants, made with real sugar. He is just careful with how much of it he eats. Be sure to let your guests know what has sugar and what doesn't that normally would.