View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Cecilia S.

Let's see if I can describe this...

The presser foot does not move at all.

The presser foot lever moves upwards about one millimeter, at which point the top of its inside mechanism butts up against the bottom of the Thneed. The operational definition for the Thneed is the metal piece of hardware nearish to the bottom of the presser foot shaft (inside the machine) which houses the set screw, as seen in the photo.

Above this Thneed hardware is the spring which surrounds the presser foot shaft. The spring itself does not seem fused per se; but what I am not understanding is; is the spring part & parcel with the Thneed hardware?

Also, when the presser foot lever is raised, should it in turn butt up against the bottom of the thneed and cause it to slide upwards on the presser foot shaft? If so, then why is there a set screw there; does the set screw not dictate where the Thneed lives, on the shaft?

If I have managed to express this properly, then I guess what I am really asking is; should I loosen the Thneed's set screw and slide it upwards? Or should the Thneed slide freely?

Thank you! I will also try gently loosening the goodies compartment slide-top. I am terribly excited to find out what is in there!

-C.