View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Quilter 53

Default Bobbin issues with my 99

Hi from Alaska!
This is my first post on QB. I've been reading it for a couple of years now but never bothered to sign up. I have been reading posts on this thread for 2 months now ever since I found a Singer 99 (1934) at a local yard sale. Believe me when I say Alaskan yard sales never have good deals like this. She was missing the cord and foot pedal and slide plate bobbin cover, no table or carrying case, and had a broken light cover. But when the lady said she'd take $10.00 for her, I figured if nothing else, she would make a good door stop.
So I came here hoping to find some ideas and you all helped me with cleaning her up (finding non-pumice Go-Jo required a 110 mile one way trip to Anchorage and stopping at no less then 6 stores) and polishing her chrome, downloaded a manual, cleaned and oiled all the right spots, ordered a new foot pedal and cord and slide plate ($95.00 including shipping), bought the correct bobbins (66) and got the DH working on a box of sorts for her to sit in.
So now I'm ready to see how well she sews only to discover that the bobbins, which do fit in the machine, won't fit on the bobbin winder. The hole in the bobbin is too small for the spindle. My DH is ready to grind down the spindle, but I told him to hold off until I could ask all of you for advice.
Any thoughts or suggestions would really be great!