View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 AM
borntoquilt

Congrats on your marriage and honeymoon cruise. We have cruised a lot.. My advice is to lay out all you want to take, then put half of it back in your closet. Seriously!! THEN, take a good look @ what you have left. If you don't plan on wearing it a least 3 times (per Rick Steves-BTW take a look at his website for all kinds of cool tips!) don't take it. NOBODY on the ship cares that you have worn the same shirt on day one, then day 4.... take at least 2 bathing suits, a cover up (you are not allowed in the lunch buffet in just your suit!). As far as Formal nights.... they aren't as formal as they used to be back in the "DAY"!! So you will see everything from ball gowns/tuxedos to street clothes. Your husband will need one sports jacket, (some lines won't let men in dining if they don't have jacket and tie!on) a tie (reversible would be fine!) and 2 dress shirts in case one gets lobster butter on it. A nice pair of black dress slacks and a few glitzy tops, maybe cute little black sweater for you will be just fine. That little black cocktail dress with some accessories will work too! Casual is great for excursions, make sure you have comfy shoes or sandals. a light weight fleece and rain jacket is a must. You never know when that tropical rain is gonna hit. Plus the air conditioning on the ship can be dern COLD.. If you plan on Zumba, Pilates, or ?? in the gym - take appropriate wear. The key is to pack LIGHT and wear the same clothes at least 3 times. Don't overpack! My husband & I flew from Seattle to Dulles then to London for 3 days, bused to ship then on to Paris, Lisbon Portugal then to Tenerife Canary Islands.. We were gone for 14 days and we each had ONE carry on bag each... We were traveling with a group of friends and they were amazed that we just had that one suit case each.... They all wanted packing lessons.... You can always was undies or socks etc in your cabin sink if necessary. Many cruise lines only have PAY FOR laundry services. Holand America does have washers and dryers on each deck but they are ALWAYS busy! You are there to have FUN! You don't want to be balancing lots of luggage, especially getting on and off the ship! As far as alcohol - it is expensive now matter how you look at it. Not sure about discount cards. I know they have punch cards for soda pop. you'll just have to ASK. Some lines will allow you to bring beer and wine aboard @ no charge. Check with your line! have a great time and if you need some more advice please PM me......