View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 02:42 PM
mdall

Default Patterns, Patterns, Patterns, HELP!!!

Okay here we go. This years local show is over, I took first on two of my pieces and now time to plan for next year. Heres the problem. What patterns to choose. I am looking for four different patterns. Two for wallhangings, one for lap throw, and one for a full size quilt. I usually do the basic squares and rectangles. I want to up the stakes and challenge myself. I have decided to go for the judges choice and based on the past years choices they are looking for the following things. Well executed techniques of the more complicated side, high contrast in colors, size doesnt seem to matter, and most of the choices were pieces that are old school patterns with a more updated feel. A good example is this years was a Baltimore wallhanging and one other year a Sun Bonnet Sue. I have been thinking of Cathedral Windows using the 10 minute block technique to save on fabric, Mariners Compass, a really updated Sun Bonnet Sue, and since I had so much fun with crown of thorns last year doing another one. there are so many patterns out there that I am not fimilar with that I would like to have lots to look and choose from before making my final decision. I also am thinking of entering another show shortly after the beginning of the year in Hampton, VA. It is a juried show and therefore would need something that is competitive yet not so complicated that I cant finish it. So, all my fellow board members let me have it. If you could make something for a show and wanted to wow them what would it be. BTW, I love to applique and to learn new techniques. Thanks for your help.