Old 09-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Cheesehead

***Just wanted to add, last year I used a silicone 9x9 pan to pour the mixture into to set. It was fantastic, I was able to just flip out the hardened mixture onto a chopping block for breaking the piece apart.*** Years past I just used a Pyrex dish and it was sometimes difficult to remove, no sticking no problems with the silicone. I highly recommend it, in fact now I won't use anything else. The silicone pan I used was round but similar in size to the 9x9. Once it's broken into pieces and dipped in the chocolate it will all look the same.

Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
1 cup light Karo syrup 1 TBS vinegar
1 cup sugar 1 TBS baking soda
1 TBS vanilla 1 1/2 lbs bulk milk chocolate

In a saucepan, mix the syrup, sugar, vanilla and vinegar. bring this mixture to 300 degrees on a candy thermometer. (It is nt necessary to constantly stir the mixture while boiling to desired temperature) When the mixture reaches 300, stir in the baking soda, just until dissolved. Adding the baking soda will cause the mixture to double in size. Pour the mixture into a buttered 9x9" pan. DO NOT SCRAPE THE SIDE OF THE SAUCEPAN AND DON'T SPREAD THE MIXTURER AROUND IN THE PAN. Let cool. Loosen mixture from pan and cut into bite size pieces. The pieces will break apart into different shapes and sizes, this is just fine. Melt the chocolate for dipping. Dip pieces of candy in chocolate and let set on waxed paper. When set, store in an airtight container.

This is the recipe for the fairy food, angel food candy, sponge candy.

Jan