Old 12-01-2009, 10:32 AM
dmackey

I've got you all beat! LOL!

I've been sewing for over 40 years. I think I have fabric from way back when and you wouldn't believe where I find places to store it all.

Under bed plastic bins- scraps.
Plastic bins on closet shelf and floor-garment fabric.
56 Quart plastic bins stacked in hall closet by color-quilting fabric.
Cabinet over the fridge-upholstery pieces to make purses, etc.
Dining room hutch has shelves on bottom with doors, put recent purchases of fabric there.
Hutch has two doors on top with shelves, keep all my thread and notions there.
I use the hutch drawers for notions, cutters.
Gave away my buffet, put a six drawer matching dresser in it's place, stored fabric in drawers (current WIPS stored here).
Bedroom dresser - larger yardage quilting fabric pieces (I now hang all clothes except for undies).
I also hang large pieces of fabric on hangers in the hall closet. These are mostly for backings.
File folder stand holds all rulers on my Bakers rack.
Shelves of Bakers rack holds finished quilt tops, waiting to be quilted.
I sew at dining room table mostly, but have a small folding table I can put in the living room and sew while watching TV.
I cut fabric using my cutting table in the kitchen. It's sides go down, is on wheels and is tall, so I can push it against a wall, cover it and it looks like a nice side table.
Replaced coffee table with hope chest, store fat quarters.
End tables have doors with interior shelves, and drawer, for patterns, and magazines.
Replaced entertainment center in LR with a six drawer dresser (TV sits on top) and I have six drawers to use that I have yet to invade.
Quilting/sewing books on book shelf in hallway.
You wouldn't know I sew except for the fact that the dining room table has a sewing machine on it! I no longer entertain so I leave it there.

I save some worn out clothing (mostly denim) to make purses.

The funny thing, is I am looking to downsize my living quarters in the next two years, so I am always on the lookout for furniture pieces with lots of storage for my sewing addiction.

I've recently given away craft type fabrics used to make stuffed animals, Santas, angels, and the like, and some upholstery fabric to a 4H group that was making eye glass holders. I've also started to cut strips out of fabrics that I can use for scrappy log cabins from those pieces I don't see a use for otherwise.

I'm hopeless but I LOVE fabric and creating things. I just can't pass up a beautiful piece of fabric or a great sale. My goal is to have enough storage for my addiction, but less furniture and rooms to clean! LOL!

Diane