View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 02:53 AM
Sheluma

I have the best luck with craigslist as the thrifts near me don't have many machines (usually none), and there aren't really garage sales near me. But many years ago, when I was coming back from a trip to the Jersey shore I stopped in a thrift and they had tons of machines! I was looking for a 401 to replace my two vintage Riccars. (In those days I thought I needed only one machine -- crazy!). Some machines were out and visible, but most were inside cabinets, and the cabinets were stacked on top of one another and two or three layers deep. I crawled around under the cabinets and found my 401! When I told the owner I wanted *that* machine in the back, behind and under other cabinets, he looked at me like I was crazy. "We have lots of other machines", he said. Turns out I was crazy -- not that I shouldn't have gotten the 401 (it's great), but I wonder what other machines I should have bought there. There were no FWs, but there may have been 201s or 301s or other machines I would buy today. They weren't on my "radar" then. <Sigh....> But I was so happy to find that machine that day!