View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 04:33 AM
reneaunoel

When I made my "first" Disappearing 9 patch, I challenged myself. I used the 7 LEAST matching, very contrasting FQ's from my stash, only bought 2 "neutral" new FQ's. Cut the squares (yes, could have strip quilted, then cut!) did practice layouts, checked contrast by using the Black & White feature on my digital camera, then stitched every block the same. When I cut and rotated, shazam, all those no match fabrics worked very well together. For the backing, I used a beautiful "Bird" fabric that I just couldn't figure out what to do with!

The young woman who got that quilt for her new baby loves it, AND understands, I made it to be used. Baby has been to the beach, lake, other family members homes, all on top of that quilt. Given the colors involved and the HOT PINK thread used to do the "bubbles" quilting, I'll bet the baby is still staring at it!

Give yourself permission to make a quilt out of those fabrics and just let it flow. And remember, while the resulting quilt may not "float your boat" but if you give it as a gift, NO ONE ELSE will ever know or care that you didn't plan that quilt!