View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 06:22 AM
DustysMomma

OMG, that's horrible Brat! Pets are as expensive, and curious, as children. They don't talk back though!

I'm sorry I've been MIA the last couple days, but I've been busy. Friday I started the process to buy a new (to me) car from the dealership where I work. No, it usually doesn't take a ton of time, but trying to figure out what we were going to do took some doing. My son has a 1995 Saturn that's got almost 200,000 miles on it. We paid $800 for it & he's had it for over 2 years, so I think we've gotten our money's worth out of it, but it's on the verge of being terminally ill. A few weeks ago, we had it in for service & I forgot to tell them we knew why the check engine light was on. Well I guess it was a good thing, because the mechanic where I work put it on the diagnostic machine & said it had about a dozen codes coming up on it, and about half of them were what they call "hard codes", meaning when they reset them, they immediately come back on. We decided then to start watching out for a different vehicle for one of us, but most likely for me.

I've had my Corolla for just over 5-1/2 years and am at the point I only owe $1800 on it. It's been a great car, and I know where it's been, so it only makes sense to hand it down to my son before I turn him loose on the world. Besides, the repair costs aren't that bad on a Toyota compared to many other vehicles. Well, the question was, do we find him a newer cheap car and me keep the Corolla, or do we give him the Corolla and get a newer car for me? We thought we had 1 possible cheaper vehicle for him, but it was 6x's what we paid for his Saturn and would still have been just as much trouble as what we already had. I knew if I didn't buy where I work, I was going to pay more than I would at work, both in interest rate and in vehicle cost.

Well I've had my eye on a Cadillac SRX for about 10 years now, and when I was still married, looked at buying a new one, but couldn't come to terms with the dealership on the one I wanted. We happened to have a red 2010 SRX on the lot at work that's in near perfect condition, so I've been watching it. It's been sitting there long enough they'd set it up to go on the auction this coming week, so I talked to the general manager and he offered me a great deal on it. So, after discussing it with the man Friday night, and bringing it home overnight Friday & putting a few miles on it, I went and bought it yesterday. It won't be very much out of pocket per month than my Corolla, which Dusty is going to take and finish paying for, and I finally got the car I always wanted!