View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 01:29 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by mtnma52 View Post
I am with you there~ My problem is: Unemployed and can't afford batting and backing right now, however, I have lots of fabric to fill my days! When the job comes and I can afford batting, I will get them done.
And unlike those who say you have to finish the quilting as you finish the tops, I say, "Ignore them"...and do what works for you.

I also agree about the batting. I normally buy it in large rolls and I like to work on the quilting until that large roll is gone--but then I can make more tops-- I think I had about 70 tops ready to finish, but am working on them now. Unlike some of you, I don't feel guilty about having them. I like to do them, and then put them in piles on a guest bed. As I feel the need for a certain quilt (guy/charity, girl/charity, woman/charity, man/charity, family member, etc.) I can finish them.

Today I bound 4--none of them very large and all donation quilts. I do want to get the total of unfinished tops down to under 20 or so, though, I think. But tops are much easier to store than finished quilts!

And while I do prefer to make the tops, as I've gotten a bit more experience doing the FMQ, I'm gaining confidence, getting faster and overall, am learning and liking the quilting more and more.