View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Dedemac

Default Cathedral repair finished!

It's completed!

This was in the previous post.
"I inherited this partial cathedral window quilt about 12 years ago. (thinking more on it, I have had this for around 20 years in my stash) Most of it is machined zig zaged, there are 11 rows and the longest row has 21 panels in it. I have measured the sides and they are about 80 inches each. I would like to get it finished into something, so I can send it to my DH's sister. My first thought was to consider is half finished and continue on for a twin bed. I am now leaning more to finding a center seam ripping it out then rotating half to make a square wall quilt or a lap quilt for her. I would like to keep as much of their grandmothers work as possible, and put in as little new fabric as possible. It’s stitched so with a sharp seam ripper I could undo a few seams with very little damage."

I brought it to our local quilt guild put did not get much helpful advice. So, I went ahead and undid the middle seam and made it a square, then replace the original windows where I had sewed the two pieces back together.

I have finished stitching down all of the windows, did decided on not putting any extra color on the border. It looked nice with the white edge. I used some of my stash for the two rows that needed color panels inserted, they seem to blend in very well. Some of my fabric was almost as old as the original fabrics used, I think that helped.

Now only need to place the label on the back. This quilt was started some time in the early 70's, my DH's Grandmother passed away in 77 so this has been traveling for 36 years waiting to be finished.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]437587[/ATTACH]
Here's a picture of what I started with.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]437588[/ATTACH]

One Christmas present down and one UFO off my list.
Attached Thumbnails dsci3349doc.jpg   dsci2924doc.jpg