View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 02:11 PM
debcavan
Power Poster

Default Bag for a Walker

I am a volunteer at three local care facilities on a regular basis. There is always a need for bags that hang on the walkers but I also wanted them to be pretty and fast to make.

The first photo is of two bags already made up. One is laying open and the other is velcroed together as it would be on a walker.

Cut two strips, one is 8 1/2" by WOF (width of fabric) and the other 15" x WOF.

Sew them together on the two WOF sides so they look like the second photo.

Turn the sewn strip and press with the 8 1/2 inch strip center

The third photo shows the ends of the strip. Both ends will be finished by turning the edge over twice and topstitching. On the photo one is finished already and the other one will be. These will become the top edge of the pockets.

You now have this pretty strip with all sides finished. Yeah, almost done.

Mark 9" from the edge of both sides of the strip. I use a pin. On the fourth photo you can see the two pockets turned up by folding at that pin mark.

To finish, top stitch from the bottom of one pocket along the side to the bottom of the other pocket. You can insert a piece of velcro just below that finished edge of the top of the pocket as you do the top stitching. The piece of velcro shown in the photo has both sides put together so I can get it right on how it is going to be slipped into place, what side up and what side down. Each side of the bag is held together by the velcro. You can see the placement of all of the velcro in the fourth photo.

Topstitch both sides. The last photo shows the topstitching all done and the velcro sewn in. The butterflies are on the pockets. Yeah you are done. The middle of the strip will be placed over the bar of a walker and the velcro will keep it in place.

Fabric is so wonderful. You will find a theme or a color in fabric that someone will enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails bags-finished.jpg   bag-sewn-sides45.jpg   bag-ends.jpg   bag-pockets-turned-up.jpg   bag-sides-sewn.jpg  

Last edited by debcavan; 09-23-2013 at 02:17 PM.