Old 09-24-2013, 07:26 PM
manicmike

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Well, how's -that- for a title?

On one of my machines, the foot pedal has a funny smell to it when I use it. Not a burning smell, not an electrical smell, but rather a smell similar to the combusted smell of Halloween sparklers. I hope this is clear, as it is the best explanation I can come up with.

The foot pedal also makes small pop-pop sounds, even after I finish using it. Could this be the sound of it cooling off?

I know that the first advice is going to be "Get a new foot pedal" or "re-wire that pedal, pronto!". However, I have opened it up and looked, and everything looks clean as a whistle! The wiring is not old, and looks to be in very good shape.

Does anyone have any ideas, diagnoses, anything whatsoever to offer in terms of insight? Anything I could look for as a source of the problem?

Many thanks,

Cecilia
Sounds like someone put a sparkler in your foot pedal.
Definitely don't use it until you've had a look inside. I'd repair it rather than replacing. You haven't said what machine or controller so I assume it's a '50s bakelite model. Tammi had a really nice instruction on disassembly and inspection.