Old 09-24-2013, 08:55 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Re: wrinkles: I prewash and then fold over to dry in my garage so the fabric only has the fold. I do prespray with Best Press, or starch, before ironing and cutting. I like the way the fabric handles - less stretch or distortion - better this way.
I agree with Jan in Va an ironing surface with less padding is better for quqilting.

Re: quilt sizes: For me it varies. For example I live in Arizona so I don't use lots of blankets or a duvet and thus my quilt spread doesn't need to be as large as what I make for my grown kids. They live in upper WI and use mucj more blankets or duvet type things on their beds, so they need more top and drop space.
I only use the drops on the sides and bottom of the bed. If I want to have the pillows covered I either use a pillow drape or make pillow covers. It all depends on what the recipient wants.
So, you hang to dry/ No drying in the dryer at all?
I'm doing HST for the first time in this quilt (very baby steps so far. ) and I did find that starching really made the fabric easy to handle. I still have to ease things, I guess I could be more accurate, but the stretch hasn't been the issue I thought it might.

We're further north still than upper WI, I didn't take into account the duvet that would be under this quilt. It of course will take up more space too. What's a pillow drape? I googled and got garbage. (i.e. Pillows and drapes in a bedding package)