View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 03:38 AM
NJ Quilter

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Okay, I just have to say how impressed I am, that y'all actually use recipes. I usually just throw stuff together, so that it's never exactly the same, twice in a row.

Anyway, I've always used Progresso Italian breadcrumbs in meatloaf, along with an egg and whatever else I think of, while putting it together. Maybe a bit of Romano cheese . . . chopped onion . . . minced garlic . . . and whatever extra herbs/spices I happen to grab from the cabinet. Always used extra lean ground meat . . . and if the ground meat didn't look lean enough, I'd have the butcher put a lean roast through the grinder. I was never a fan of the tomato stuff on top, either.
This is pretty much how I make meatloaf as well. Our grocery store sells a 'meatloaf mix' which is ground beef; pork; veal all mixed together. I use that as my base, use oatmeal vs breadcrumbs, 1 egg to hold everything together. Toss in whatever spices come to hand as well as chopped onion and minced garlic. Bake at 350 for somewhere around an hour - give or take, doesn't seem to matter. Never dry and usually quite tasty.