View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 AM
caspharm

Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
I'm a fairly new quilter who has just joined a guild. The first couple blocks we did weren't too bad for me, but now I'm really stumped.

Last night we were given a large plain block of fabric (16x16) and instructions to make a "house" block out of it. The person whose fabric it is wants a house in every block, any kind of house, but NO appliqué. We are free to add anything we want (grass, trees, people, pets, etc.).

Now, how the heck do I do this?? Someone mentioned paper piecing and I looked this up; okay, I think I can figure out something simple, but how do I get it on the fabric she gave us? The meeting ended rather quickly, so I didn't get a chance to ask anyone and I don't want to go back with nothing, or worse, a ruined block.

What can I do!???

Renate
It says make a "house" block out of the fabric. To me, that means you can cut it up and use it in a house block. One example: http://quilting.about.com/od/blockof...use_quilt.html. You could your fabric as the background or the house itself. You don't have to paper piece as this About.com pattern shows.

As PaperPrincess said, you can also call someone in the guild to find out more specifics. Also, what size are the other blocks you are making? Is 16 x 16 the size of the blocks, or just the size of the piece of fabric they gave you? Did they give any general guidelines out when they started what sounds like a Block of the Month (BOM)? Does your guild have a website where they post information like this?