Old 12-01-2009, 04:31 PM
shaverg

I think you will do fine, sounds like you are going about it exactly the right way. It sounds like your wife has a great relationship with the LQS and Husqvarna dealer. If you wife likes her Viking that is probably a safe way to go too.
Originally Posted by Guy
Hi All - and thanks so much for the helpful suggestions.

Based on your ideas, I am going to call our daughter tonight and see what she thinks is the best option from those offered. She may even be able to have a "mother/daughter" discussion about the various machines without my wife getting too suspicious.

I am also going to call/visit the local quilting shop / Husqvarna dealer. My wife spends a lot of time there and knows the owner well. I will ask her if she has any ideas based on what my wife currently owns and may have talked to her about re: future machines. My only reluctance in doing this at the very beginning was a little concern about being steered right to the top of the line model.

If neither of these options proves fruitful, then I get the impression from most of you that a new machine is a matter of personal preference and that given your druthers you would like to make it yourself ... so as many have suggested I will get a big decorated box, put in a couple of books or house bricks for weight ... and then add in a cut out picture of the top of the line Husqvarna machine. If my wife thinks that is too extravagent or prefers some other model ... when then that is what she can purchase.

Thanks a bunch everyone ... you've all been so helpful!

Cheers.