Old 09-26-2013, 05:12 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
I do very much appreciate all the replies!

It is a metal pedal, and I have opened and inspected it, and it is clean as a whistle and the wiring is in perfect condition. There is nothing to be "fixed".

I think I will continue to use it, but -carefully-, heeding all your various warnings, and am keeping it unplugged when not in use and also am in the room for a good long while after I stop using it.

I do understand that when sewing a low speeds, it is normal for any foot pedal to heat up. This in itself is normal and harmless.

I like the explanation that was given earlier in this thread about moisture needing to burn off.

I will keep you posted if anything develops. I will hope for an outcome more like Macybaby's than Tessagin's. ;-)

Thank you all again.
Just to double check, some of the metal pedals still have carbon piles in them, but they look a little different. Some of them have a ceramic cylinder about the size of a pack of lifesavers, but maybe 25 - 50% longer than the lifesavers. Those will have the same carbon disks inside them. The insidious part about these carbon piles is that outwardly, they look fine. I don't suppose you could post a pic of the innards of the pedal?

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
p.s. Arcane, your site looks really wonderful! I will spend more time there, reading, when I have some time. Thanks so much for the link.
Thanks!! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I don't get as much time to write as I'd like, but I like to know that it's helping people out.