View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Cecilia S.

Proud to report, the presser foot bar is now loosened, and moving beautifully!

The bobbin winding business is seized completely and will not turn whatsoever. There is also a great deal of rust on the outer metal bits of the machine. That is, inside, where things were oiled, is is pristine and rust-free. However, the handwheel and all the metal plates etc are rusted and pitted awfully. It depresses me, I admit, that I just watched Muv's video which featured a F & R handcrank, and indeed hers in in such fine form.

Can you please advise me as to how you would treat the rusted metal? It is not just rusted, but also, much of the plating is pitted and destroyed. I would really appreciate any input at all, for removing rust, getting things cosmetically acceptable as well as functioning. I understand that 0000 steel wool and brass-o is great for brass, but have been told that using steel wool on steel parts can wreck them, causing further pitting.

I am very keen to hear whatever you all think. Thank so much in advance.

Also, a question for any F & R owners; the rubber doughnut on the bobbin winder is absolutely shot. And what an odd, large size! Would anyone know where I can purchase one?