View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 09:47 AM
DogHouseMom

Default I took the long arm plunge!!!

Not so much a "plunge" as a "wade".

Back in June I had it in my head that I wanted a long arm and went to the big quilt show in Chicago and test drove all they had to offer. I fell in love with the Innova with lightning stitch. Since then I've been waffling over do I want one or not??? So even though hubby was pushing me to buy one (and confessed he was going to buy it for me for my birthday (Oct 18)), I've been reluctant to lay out good $$ for the Innova of my dreams.

Being unsure if I wanted one or not ... I've been trolling Craig's list and E-bay for used machines.

Two days ago I found a machine close to home being advertised. It's a Voyager 17 on a stretch Hinterberg with a stitch regulator. Currently sits at 84", has a set of "groovy" boards with 4 panto's (I doubt I'll be a panto person, but they're there), and a stand-alone bobbin winder. Purchased in 2008 and she has made 3 whole quilts on it. Not a machine I had test drove before (because they don't make them anymore). For the price, I thought it would be a great machine for me to start with, and if I really liked it and wanted to upgrade someday - the Voyager's seem to have pretty good resale value (Hinterberg/Nolting are still buying them to refurbish). I researched it and found only two marks against it ... it's very heavy when off the frame (but the weight isn't an issue when on the frame, easy to maneuver), and it can be picky about thread - especially my favorite thread. I can live with these.

So I went up to test drive it today. I liked it

I didn't "love" it like I loved the Innova (that machine is sweeeeet!), but this machine will give me what I want ... experience with a long arm to determine IF I want a long arm. Who knows ... some day I might upgrade to the Innova.

Pick it up tomorrow.

I may be picking brains here once I get it home!!