Old 09-28-2013, 04:45 PM
catjo

Originally Posted by verna2197 View Post
catjo, I just can't believe all the hoops that make us jump. My sister fought tooth and nail for her SS and when she finally got it she passed away 6 months later. Also having to get a lawyer to help, they get a percentage of the back pay. Not sure how much. Just upsets me that we have to fight for it when we paid the monies in while we worked.
They get 25% of it. I did everything up to the point the appeal will now go in front of the judge, and I felt I needed a lawyer just to be covered for judicial purposes and not get walked over. They want you in so much debt before you get it that all the back pay has to be used to pay for everything your behind on. Ridiculous process. The attorney says they do that to weed out the people who really don't need it.
This past week they think I ruptured another disk in my back, so I continue to lay in bed. Was up too much today and paying for it today. Husband said, "you better tell the attorney". My wording was, it has to be confirmed or the SS won't care. That is what the attorney says. It all has to be down confirmed on paper before they will even consider it. Just unfortunate we have to go through so much. I checked to see if the process could be speeded up and you either have to be terminal or how being foreclosed on before they will consider your hearing date to be moved up.
I am so sorry for your sister. That is an example of why I am so upset with the process. It is almost if they are waiting you out.
My husbands ex was working and hurt her back, and the workers comp doctor got her SS and she only had one back surgery. Here I have all these problems and 6 back surgeries and I repeatedly get turned down. Something is definitely wrong with our system.