Old 09-29-2013, 05:24 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Didn't get telling you about the Fair last week ......... all went well!
Wed/Thurs for set up it was brutish hot and humid. Also Friday.
Then Friday night/Saturday the rains came ... over 3". One area not far away got 6".
Luckily it stayed warm (not humid) thru the rains, so it was not too uncomfortable in the barns for the humans or the cows!
Then Sunday it was coolish, breezy, but reasonable. So much rain that the heavy horse show was cancelled. It wasn't raining, just too dangerous for the horses to hitch. It was a big disappointment to us, as it was always a highlight, almost a reward for the busy hectic work-weekend at the Fair.

On Friday we had over 1300 children from Grade 3+7 for Education Day. They have several stations around the Fairgrounds that they rotate thru to learn about agriculture. Even a station about quilting. Some have hands on activities, some are more lecture oriented. We have 5 cows, and do 5 milkings .... largest was with 312 kids (plus their adult leaders). I do the commentary, while my colleague milks the cow. Then we go to Q+A with me fetching the questions, and he responds. Starting with washing the cows at 5:30am, we were non-stop thru to 3pm. Breakfast? Lunch? what's that? Talk about exhaustion .... and then we were not finished, as the buildings are open til 10pm and we had to milk the ladies again!

Here's some pics .... the cattle and butter display are in the same area, inside a quonset barn.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]438663[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]438664[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]438665[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails gne2013-2-.jpg   gne2013-5-.jpg   gne2013butter-7-.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltE; 09-29-2013 at 05:28 AM.