Old 09-29-2013, 06:59 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

CarrieM ... one of the hardest thing I find in entering is "reading" or should I say "interpreting" the class info. Very often it is ambiguous and poorly written!

Classes might be specifically for hand quilting or machine quilting or other (tied or strip quilting or?). Machine quilting at one fair/show may include DSM and LA, or it may only be for DSM with a separate class for LA. And some classes will say any type of quilting can be done,

Then there are the other class specs. Size may be specified to a minimum or maximum, generally giving the perimeter as the size. A minimum of 192" is a standard here for machine quilted quilts (whether LA or DSM) or 324" minimum for hand quilted quilts. Though that is not always the rule!

The Fair a couple weeks ago had specific sizes, and you had to have that size or do not enter. So ... the one baby quilt class was 36x54" which would have been the same perimeter as my pink baby quilt at 40x50" but nope, could not enter. A lot of their classes were specific sizes, which cut me out. Those specifics were not even consistent ... one was 48x60, whereas another 40x60 and so on! Then they wonder why they didn't get significant entries in some of the classes?

Sometimes too, the class is open to any size ... so last year, the hand quilted applique class at one Fair had no size specified. I entered Granny59's Mini Dresden Plate quilt .... and it won over some full sized bed quilts. I am sure there was some chatter by the owners of those other quilts!

Quilts are generally in a different section of the entry book to many other sewing and craft classes, including Needlecraft. At some Needlecraft is anything using a needle, thus including quilted work. At some of the others, don't dare go there, they only want knitting, crocheting, cross stitching, etc. Often times this section, I am able to enter runners, table toppers or other smaller items, separate from "real" quilts, yet are quilted.

Then the one that really gets me going is when you call the convener and ask a question, and she has no clue what the answer is! Then gives the response, oh put it in and see how the Judge interprets it. Ummmm ... sorry, I don't want to be disqualified. I want to know if it is a valid entry or not, before doing so!!!!

arrgghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
Yes, I get very frustrated!
.......... and bite my tongue a lot!!!

Sorry you asked?