View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 AM
NanaCsews2

I personally would encourage family or friends to donate/gift to other family or friends or benefits. I cringed last night when I walked into a local thrift store and hanging on the rack was a beautiful quilt that certainly was many many years old. All hand-sewn with cottons and wools and silks. It was a log cabin pattern. There were many rips and tears and seams undone. And surely looked used and loved. It looks like someone had washed it as the undone seams showed raveling, knotting and bunching of the fabrics and threads. The price was $90, so someone did know the value of the quilt should not have been $9.99 or less. I would think only a quilter would pick it up for that price, but this store does do sales and clearance and it may end up as a dog bed or in a dumpster. I felt sad it was hanging there, but I couldn't afford to buy it and rescue it. I know families donate items from deceased or loved ones going to homes, and the quilt looked like it was loved, but I would hope my gifts are given to someone who can use them and appreciates it if it doesn't fit their lives.
How thoughtful of you to let your sons know it is okay to donate what they cannot use. Sounds like you are in the right place when it comes to your craft. You enjoy what you do and prefer to spread around your gifts than to store them away without being cherished and loved by others.