Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 AM
carolstickelmaier

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
This is my favorite thing to make for charity. You can do just about anything your heart desires. I foundation piece using the opened sweatshirt as my foundation. Also use left over quilt blocks to fill in areas. With children I get to be WILD with ribbons, lace, buttons, old jewelry and just about anything that can be washed. If in doubt as to a design ask a child between 4yrs and 8yrs. Believe me they have no reserves when it comes to color or design.
Start with a washed and dried sweatshirt, set in sleeves work best. Remove the binding from sleeves and bottom of shirt. Open the arms at seam and down the sides (keeping everything straight and even. Fold center in half making sure you have the same amount on each side at neck. DO NOT REMOVE THE NECK BINDING YET! Open the shirt out flat and start "auditioning" my granddaughters favorite word, your fabrics. I use
Sorry not sure what happened. I use LOTS of pins. Laying each fabric where I want it and pinning in place. Leave at least an inch extra for adjustments. When ready fold shoulder seams of back over the front shoulder and then the top of sleeves over the jacket front and back. I use a very small blanket stitch for a seam. When working on the center front leave a 2 inch overlap of fabric on each side. Double fold the fabric to the back over the cut edge. You are not losing any inches to the top. finish the side seams as you like. If you have a serger it will make a nice seam with no raveling. Now is the time to measure again the neck opening making sure it is even on both sides and then remove the neck binding. Adjust the sides as needed. I use binding (like for quilts)for sleeves, bottom and neck. For closure I use separating zippers that I pin in place and then topstitch. Pockets are your choice. Patch pockets are the easiest but do what you like. SORRY I FORGOT TO SAY MAKE THE SWEATSHIRT AT LEAST ONE SIZE BIGGER THAN YOU WEAR. I wish I knew how to post pictures as I have five little girls done and ready to send out on my dining table right now. Sorry this is so long but if you have questions please PM me