View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 06:10 AM
Cecilia S.

Default Tri Flow; Pros and Cons

Tri Flow is mentioned so often, and was just mentioned in a separate thread; I thought I would start a discussion here.

At the risk of being unpopular, I want to say that I am not nearly as much a fan of Tri Flow as the rest of the group seems to be.

I mentioned in a separate thread that I experienced Tri Flow removing the black finish from a 1924 Singer. Sheila chimed in with a really interesting post about banana oil, paint remover, etc. Sheila, if you want to add that here ont his thread, it might be helpful to have it in this discussion!

I also experimented with using Tri Flow on the keys and rods of a musical instrument, where sewing machine oil is normally used. After three weeks, the Tri Flow had gone dry, gunky, and appeared to leave residue. The keys were much noisier and less free-moving than when they are simply treated with sewing machine oil.

I generally believe in using the simplest solution for a given problem, (Occam's Razor!) and while I will say that Tri Flow was valuable in helping me free up an absolutely seized presser foot bar, I find that often, sewing machine oil alone is enough to free lightly-moderately seized parts, lightly rusted parts.

I realize that I am a novice yet, and many here are seasoned tinkerers, so I don't mean to speak out of turn. However, blanket advice is often given to give a Tri Flow spa to any newly-acquired creaky sewing machine. I would say that I disagree with this; I would personally give a sewing machine oil spa first, and then, if there are any truly seized parts, there I would consider Tri Flow, sparingly and carefully.

I personally do not understand what the Three (Tri) ingredients are; Teflon is one, and thusfar there seem to be differing opinions as to the other two. All discussion is welcome! Would love to hear it.

Thanks!