Old 10-01-2013, 12:46 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
The style is not to my taste but I don't have a problem with it as long as it can be turned back into a sewing machine cabinet if the need arises. On the other hand, I'm not a proponent of fascism so people should do what they like.
I agree. Function first. I could see decorating a badly damaged top and leaving it functional, but a perfectly good one, or easily salvaged, or compromising its ability? No.

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
I don't know who was the bigger idiot, the seller or the thief.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/atq/4102118722.html

The ad says:
"c.1930's +/- Antique Davis Treadle Sewing Machine in Oak Cabinet with Cast Iron Base. This machine needs a new belt. There are numerous sewing attachments in the drawers; one on each side, and one in the center.
this is sitting in my driveway. I am asking for a $10.00 (or better) donation - you decide, payable to American Cancer Society. leave check in mailbox if interested.Otherwise this machine is free to the first person who comes and picks it up. email for exact location."

So I emailed for the location and the seller replied back,
"Unfortunately some no-good person walking by, ripped the machine itself out of the case leaving the table partly broken."
Argh.
Uh... My vote is for the seller. Leave it outside on the driveway? Of course some no good opportunist is going to do something. That's like expecting a hungry lion to not try to sample you because you had good intentions when you walked into his habitat.