View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 02:00 AM
Sheluma

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Depending on how you do the adjustment, you can actually affect how tight it is, or just the position of the numbers. push the numbered ring in and turn the numbers - adjust the numbering. Push the numbered ring in and turn the silver knob, adjust the tension as a whole.

The numbers on the dial are pretty much arbitrary.
I'm a bit confused maybe. I thought the knob turns only so much left or right, so that adjusting the knob is basically the same as adjusting the numbers. Both methods change the tension relative to the numbers. Does the action you take depend on what you're trying to do? Ie., if your tension is too loose but it's reading the number you think it should be reading, then push the ring, hold it still and tighten the knob. Conversely, if the tension is good but the number is wrong, then turn the number ring and leave the knob where it is? I guess I prefer to get the stitching where I want it, then put the numbers where I think they should be. Leaving the numbers static and turning the knob may require more tweaking because you don't know exactly how much you need to turn it. True that the numbers are arbitrary, but helpful for knowing where you are if you change the tension and then later want to go back to that spot.

Doh, I just thought of something else. If you turn the knob all the way to the left, the number should be at 0, and/or if you turn it all the way to the right the number should be at 9. Does that make sense and is that a reliable way to get the numbers in sync?