Thread: Jury Duty
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 02:15 PM
JanieH

On my soap box here: I know that jury duty is often inconvenient and can be disturbing BUT what if we didn't have juries? And, if we did have the jury, what if the jury was made up of people who didn't care or were not interested enough to really listen and make educated decisions? What if that jury was hearing a case that involved a family member, either as the defendant or as the person that the crime was committed against? And what if YOU were the defendant? Wouldn't you want the best people possible on that jury?
I am a retired teacher and usually got called up 1-2 times a year. I am fortunate to live in Houston where we can reschedule jury duty if we have a conflict (and I had to, usually due to a planned field trip or program involving my students) but I was always proud to serve. When our constitution was written, this was an important part of it after what our forefathers had experienced. I may not always like what I have to hear and see but I listen and try to make the very best decision that I can with God's help.
It is ironic that now that I have been retired for 7 years, I have only gotten 1 jury summons. But I answered it proudly!