Old 10-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Cecilia S.

Vridar, this is only my opinion/taste, and I don't expect it to change yours. In my opinion, that natural wood looks marvelous. Is it maple? Solid maple is special!

I am allergic to veneer, and to stains which look un-natural. So if yours is a solid maple table, OOH!!!! I LOVE IT!

In staining, cherry is a -very- hard one to mimick without looking cheap-cheap. Stain often ends up looking cheap and tacky, unless it is done -really- well, with just the right prep/undercoat, just the right shade of stain... Once it is done, there is no un-doing it. (They call it stain for a reason... ;-) )

As someone who adores natural wood, I get sad when someone has painted or stained something, because then I cannot un-do it.

It will take you -many- hours of prep to prepare the surface for a stain, and unless you get Every. Last. Bit. From Every. Little. Nook. And. Cranny... then the stain will not take evenly, and you run the risk of a really cruddy-looking table.

I honestly think it would be less effort to find a different table, one already of a colour which pleases you aesthetically, and leave the blonde one au-natural, for someone who will love it. If I were near you, I'd take it! But I am sure someone else would -love- it.

Just my uncut opinion. :-)