Thread: Jury Duty
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Rose_P

I've been called a number of times over the years, but only selected one time, for a guy contesting a speeding ticket. We convicted him and made him pay the original fine plus the approximate cost to the city of seating a jury trial. One woman on the jury was sympathetic, saying she felt sorry for the guy, who was caught while rushing his MIL and SIL to the airport. I said, "They're not asking us how we feel about this, they want to know if we think he was speeding." The men in the group nearly leaped up and patted me on the back for that. As one of them said, nearly all of us have had speeding tickets at one time or another, but we just paid them and accepted the fact that we got caught. The woman who was holding out was from a different culture. She had never driven a car, and where she was from, women are traditionally more deferential to men. She would have liked to have a trial of the MIL and SIL who probably weren't ready on time. I did feel sorry for the defendant, too, but I didn't think he should be tying up a courtroom when he was clearly in the wrong. You just know that officer kept him waiting around so that there was no chance whatever that they caught that flight.

Two other times I got close to being selected, but I think that attorneys are shy about housewives. We theoretically have all the time in the world to hang a jury.

One thing I used to like about going to downtown Houston for jury duty was seeing just how marvelously diverse this big port city is. Every time the day would begin with about 500 of its citizens gathered together. We looked like a cross section of the world, all gathered together with one unifying purpose: justice. I also appreciated that it was an efficient process. It wasn't hard to find parking and a free shuttle to the appropriate building and back, and the wait wasn't too bad. We've lived in 3 other states and found that a lot of smaller communities don't do nearly as well by their jury pool.