View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 03:39 AM
Edie

I don't want to do anything that will burn me out. I make quilts for gifts, for a thank you and for "just because I wanted to." When my husband was ill, I had two neighbors watch Miss Bess, let her out, take her for a walk, etc., while he was in the hospital. The first time, in December, I told the neighbor I would pay him, he said no. "What can I do for you." "Make me a quilt." I did, I didn't have to rush (I was going through a very heart breaking period in my life) and it took me about four months to make it. Then I told the other neighbor I would pay her - "No." "What can I do for you?" "Make me a quilt". Well, I started it the first part of August and I will probably finish it in the next couple of weeks (It is 52x80). My husband passed away in March and being able to sit down at the sewing machine and just sew and remember and cry and laugh and sew and remember, I was not under any pressure and I didn't push myself or anything.
It is going to be a sampler in shades of green - 15 different blocks that pertain to the person. I write a little story of why I used those particular blocks, etc. That whole spiel being said, No, I will not make a quilt for any amount of money. I will not let them buy the fabric because if I do something wrong, I cannot fix it because I don't know if I can get the fabric again. This way, it is my design, their color, my time frame and it works beautifully. I don't ever want to burn out from quilting. Also, I don't get burned. That would kill me! The only thing I really miss the most is when my husband was in bed I would come in and lay the quilt on the bed to show him it was done and he would always say "That's the best one yet." Worth more than anything in the world. Happy Quilting. Edie