Old 10-05-2013, 03:41 AM
Butterfli19

Default Sew cloth dolls and quilts to give away - good idea, yes?

I've been thinking about this for years and should probably just do it. I've always wanted a side business to bring in extra money but I always think back to the day a very favorite special friend of the family had to go into a nursing home in her 80's, and after a time started forgetting who we were. I didn't know what to do so I made her a cloth doll. omg, she absolutely loved her, I mean loved her! Her husband had died 20 years earlier and they couldn't have children, but had many, many children in their lives as they knew like the entire town of Haverhill MA and for a time owned a little variety store. She cried and hugged that doll so tight it made me cry. Right then THAT was what I felt I was supposed to do (that knowing, no-doubt-about-it feeling that can only be attributed to divine intervention) - make dolls for the elderly. But, I didn't, because my kids were still sort of young and going through teenage world and being a single working parent there was only so much I could handle. (refer "annoying daughter" post)

Lately I'm again, thinking of side biz vs. sewing to bring happy (not fond of the word "charity") and I keep going back to sewing for happy, because I'd feel like I was doing some small good for a few people in the world, it would make me happy, and not sure I want the aggravation of a biz, so I guess that's selfish but I can be because this is a good reason.

What do you think? I was thinking small cloth dolls, 10" - 15", clothed, with maybe a nightgown / pjs and quilt with pillow and little quilted basket for sleeping. There are orgs near me who donate blankets, quilts, and clothing for babies to teens and I'm sure some for the elderly, but I want to do something separate from that, something that's "mine", you know?

Last edited by Butterfli19; 10-05-2013 at 03:46 AM. Reason: grammar, always grammar