Old 10-05-2013, 05:31 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

MiraB ... Selfish? DEFINITELY NOT!!!!!! You did the work, and so, let them have their creative moments too, and come up with something else that is unique to them. To write out instructions is a LOT of work ... and to make sure they are correct, is even more so. And if something goes wrong, then of course, they have the ability to put the "blame" on you. Just what many want, so they don't have to blame themselves for their own mistakes.

My work is no where near so creative and unique as yours, though much of it is not from a pattern, or if it started with a pattern, I change it up ever-so much! When asked, my answer is much like yours ... I started with this then as ideas came, I changed it up. Just the same as most of my cooking/baking ... recipes/patterns are only guides that I improvise from. And lots of time I don't even start with one and just start with an idea.

Now if I were organized and I had written down every detail when I made Fr♥osty last winter, life would be much easier for me now. I'm making a new Fr♥sty for a friend and so, the other day I sat down and started measuring his pieces to figure out how much fabric I needed. Yes, I did graph it out ... though I already know there are going to be changes. And will I keep track of those? Not likely!!!!!!

So be proud of your work ... and continue to say "it came out of my muddled brain ... honestly, I do not have a pattern for it!" .... and as I told someone who one time pretty much "demanded" I write up a pattern ... "I'm not into that, as I know how many hours it would take to get a pattern perfected in every way. And I would not be happy to share it, unless it were perfect. I'd far sooner use that time to make another unique quilt!" Guess what? I got another PM back suggesting that I could always sell them, if I felt that way. ummmmm OK!

So MiraB ... if that's selfish, then I'm happy to be in your good company!
But I repeate ........... Definitely NOT!

QNSue ... Good for you! Your body is telling you it NEEDS that sleep and that you need to stop trying to pack so much into every day. And not just last night, more nights of longer sleep! Even a nap during the day is perfectly OK!