View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 06:31 AM
svenskaflicka1

i use CDs in my computer all the time. i am a media junkie, so i, too, have a huge collection of LPs, lots of CDs, old 45s--and am lucky enough to have the functional components to play all of them. i know that eventually the CD will probably go the way of the 8-track tape (yes, i have some of those, too), but for music listening, i don't like MP3s. there is a slight compression of sound and time that distorts them, and makes them difficult to listen to. the "stick" is great for information, but they apparently have a finite life. i lost over 20 days of music to a hard drive crash not too long ago, so i'm still a hanger-on to the stuff i can hold in my hand. i like things like liner notes, pages i can turn, books i can hold in my hand. tactile, until the end, i reckon...got to be able to "pet" whatever the project is. (i know that there are those who swear by cloud computing, but i'm just a little paranoid about having all of my information "out there", where i have even less control over my vulnerability. my music wouldn't be such a big issue, but...)