View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 11:04 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
Maybe he could do a tutorial on color??? That is beautiful and just flows so prettily.
I would not know where to start -- especially since when I am putting together a color run of more than 12 fabrics I generally gather up all the different fabrics I have either in the color family- or style I want to use and take them either to my husband, son or nephew to put them into a 'workable' order for me- sometimes if I lay out a run that seems *not quite right* I will walk away for a while then come back & look again- if I can not figure out what the 'problem' is I wait for one of the guys & ask them- generally they walk in, take one look either pull something out & toss it aside or rearrange a couple- then walk away. for some reason blues are the hardest for me- other color families I can usually get right on my own.
one 'lesson' for building a successful color run is--- disregard color, print & texture- and work on a good value balance- most any color can work with another color as long as the values are right- it is important to have a balance of light, medium & dark--- a great way to do that is to lay out your fabrics in what you feel is light, medium, dark- then take a picture of them- and print it in grayscale- the color is gone and you see the values- it makes it easy to see if something is out of place- or if you have a lot more mediums than the other 2 (which happens to me a lot) number the fabrics- then you can look at your grayscale picture & see what needs to move- or what needs to be replaced. if you want to learn more about color itself- find a color wheel- they can be found on the internet - or picked up in craft/art stores, office supply, paint departments, a good color wheel is a resource everyone should have if they work with 'color'