View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Sally Neckvatal

Congratulations on getting a new workspace! As a former interior designer and an ardent fiber artist, I suggest picking a light but warm shade of your favorite color and pairing it with crisp white or linen and then picking one more color to use liberally for an accent. The idea is to create a space that makes you feel happy and comfortable. If possible choose lights that have "daylighting" bulbs. Avoid any light fixture with a colored or translucent shade as it will distort the light value and thus your impression of what you are seeing. A really cool trick if you have enough wall space is to build a fake window. This mounts a real window to the wall but it has a light behind it. You can mount a mural behind the window too, or apply a translucent film, and then dress the window as desired. Just the impression you have a window is psychologically positive. I like dark floors in my studio. Yes you see all the dust and lint, but you can also see the pins, bobbins and other things you drop. I made the mistake in my current studio of using a light floor and now miss my dark floor. I also like a hard surface rather than a carpet after having tried both over the years. My favorite floor was Pergo brand. Mid I could talk my husband into helping me move out my stuff, including my 12' long arm, I'd go back to the Pergo flooring. Have fun in your new space.