Thread: Jury Duty
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 12:45 PM
mrs. fitz

I just got excused (was supposed to report this Tuesday) with a doctor's note stating I am the sole caregiver for my husband (true). I've served several times; the first case was such a good experience, a numbers running case which lasted about a week. We got paid $3/day. The day the case was over the whole jury went out to lunch and spent our whole week's salary on a good meal with wine (this was early 1970's). The last case I was on, not the last time I've been called, I couldn't believe the waste of time and money. One ice cream vendor punched another vendor in the nose because he wanted to sell at the same park. We'd wait until about 11 for the day's testimony to start, then lunch, then another wait and maybe an hour in the afternoon. This went on for a week. Finally one of the jury members asked the bailiff what our rights are as jurors because we were all furious. He was told "absolutely none". We finally found in favor of the defendant (the puncher) because he had been provoked, he just went berserk when the other guy cursing out his (defendant's) mother. One punch. Actual time in the jury room over a week, maybe 6 or 7 hours. I've been called to report since then but haven't been chosen for a jury, not even for preliminary interrogation. But...I always remember that first case, how interesting to see the system at work and how much we all put into it to make sure we gave a fair verdict.