Old 10-07-2013, 04:09 AM
twinkie
Power Poster

You do what you have to do. I cannot shop at the prices of the LQS very often either. I have made some beautiful quilts (IMHO) out of Wal Mart fabric and find that they do have some great quality at the less expensive stores.

Originally Posted by Tfch8184 View Post
I am not narrow minded in my fabric selection. I shop at Joann's and love my local store and that's mostly because I love the employees there. But also because I am on a budget and can not afford to use name brand fabrics all the time. I have a creepy obsession with charm packs. Lol and I love moda fabric so I have to be very selective in what I but name brand to make my money go further.

I made my niece a flannel quilt using all joann flannels and it's been a year and it is holding up great even if the binding looks like poo. I used Walmart fabrics for a tie quilt and pillow for my niece as well and it's holding up well also.

I just pick and choose fabric as I go and whether I buy it from Joann's, an online shop or eBay even Joe Schmoe down the block as long as I am happy with it and it's not falling apart as I sew and cut then I am happy. The only thing I steer clear from now is broadcloth because I didn't know it wasn't all cotton and melted some while pressing seams. Lesson learned and thankfully a cheap on at that.

The only thing sewing wise I am snobby about is my machine. I will never ever buy a big store machine again because after having two break down in less that 8 mths I will stick with my very awesome janome dealer. Nothing like having the kind of customer service that makes you feel important.