Old 10-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Redsquirrel

Default "Deer in the headlights" everywhere in my quilt quild

So, I joined a guild this year because my mom is in it and I enjoy sewing with her. Note that I'm am 34 and the youngest by FAR at this guild which meets on Monday mornings. So add my bright red hair and the fact I'm young and at a quilt guild during working hours on a monday and I bring my Featherweight, I stand out....just a bit. I often will catch a women looking at me with that "deer in the headlights" look.

This guild has 30-40 women every week and there is only one other lady that brings a featherweight too. All the other women ironically are old school hand stitching, or using their fancy Babylocks. They like the look of the featherweight but are TERRIFIED of trying to work on them themselves and are dead set on the thought that if they got one it'd have to be taken in to the repair shop to get working. When I say that I work on them myself, they look at me with that "deer in the headlights" look. When I say I replace the power cords myself they really stare at me for a while. And god forbid I say that I have a treadle machine at home that I use, because that really makes them look at me for a while. I sometimes feel like they are snobby towards the old machines and think that they may be a joke.

I find this ironic as most of these women would have grown up with the old Singers and I hear many stories of the new really expensive machines are in the shop a lot too, and there is no way in heck you can work on those unless your a computer programmer.
Does anyone else here find their guild members a little snobby when it comes to old machines? I would like to try to change the attitude of the group a little to be a little more open.
Just a little story I'd like to share.