View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 02:06 PM
RedGarnet222
Power Poster

Much of the fmq'g is really learning to control the fabric. First you must learn to sandwich the quilt right so nothing can bunch up in the back, then you need some gloves with the plastic dots on the palm to be able to grip the fabric. Some people use the halos that grips the front and serves as handles to move the fabric around with. I am a pinner myself. I use those plastic covers on the tops of them to insert them in the quilt and a metal and wood pining tool. The extension sewing beds are wonderful and some people use a Teflon sheet to help move the quilt around easier.
Some of the gals here use the spray baste.

Then you mark the quilt and go for it. I don't do the real fancy quilting like some of the gals here can. But, I am pleased with my things when I am finished. After all, these are for use, not a competition show.

There are volumes of books on the quilting process. My favorite is Quilting Solutions. Also, at allpeoplequilt.com there is a few free videos you can watch.

I do have a little grace II for the larger quilts. But, for the really big ones, I send them off to the LA Quilter. My shoulders and knees won't take that many hours standing to finish them.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 10-08-2013 at 02:10 PM.